Friday, September 17, 2010

Day 246: Becoming Greater Than Through Love and Support: The Cape Fear Heart Walk Journey with Adam Freeman

"true humility is the achievement of one's own excellence"
that was what an old monk in upstate new york used to tell us when I was in my early 20's. We called him ciggarette Bob..and he chain smoked ciggarettes and spoke in parabels. But he was one of the most influential people in my life at the time. Typically, what he said took years for me to get...and this statement took me a great deal of time and contemplation. I have learned that I am afforded excellence, but humility is knowing what is my excellence and what isn't. Even 22 years later, one of the joys of my life is still learning and growing in understaning that excellence as well as understadning some of my boundaries and things that lie outside of it.

Last night, I experienced something that I never dreamed would be a part of my life. I ran a 5k! I ran it with my friend and brother, Adam to the cheers of my life partner, my mother and step father, and friends...I experienced another "bucket list" moment that begins something new. Running is not my excellence...being an athlete is not my excellence...however, what is becoming more and more clear that is within my realm of excellence is exploring and accomplishing those things, activities, and behavoirs that promote health and wellness for myself. I can feel and see that those things are within my abilities now. It is pretty amazing and ONE DAY AT A TIME...like everything else, I have come to realize this.

I was saying to Michael though last night on the way home, I need to say, everytime I post though, that this journey is like all the changes that have come...it has only happened and is only possible because it three fold..it is inolved with my mind, my body, and my spiritual life. I have to think and believe, act in a physical way to do things differently, or to do things period, and I have to rely on and believe in something greater than myself...these things in concert..or at least as in as much harmony as possible in a given moment allow for the transformative in all things..not just diet and exercise, but in all things I want to see adn change....and believe you me, I have a lot of other things I want to continue to seek changes and growth in and for. My journey is not complete...that is another things I actually can be very grateful for!
Well, here are the vids that Adam took last night as we ran! What a gift from him..not only as my friend..but capturing this moment in time...a middle and a begining! thanks be!










at the begining of the race!

No comments: