Sunday, November 07, 2010

Day 294: Greater than through love and support: Journey with the Cape Fear Heart Walk and Adam Freeman

Sunday and it the close to an awesome week!

Frankly I would have never imagined that I would be in a "celebrity" auction...notorious maybe, celebrity..no, and while I have no problem speaking in front of a crowd, taking the stage and walking a cat walk modeling clothes...well, that was unimaginable to me not that long ago. I mean, would cape fear formal have even had a tux to fit me? It was an experience I won't soon to forget with people I truly respect and love for a cause I am so honored to have been a part of of..




Course my favorite part of this vid was the expression the girl from Reed's jewlry at the very end...sort of like "who the hell is this guy"...classic!
But the folks who did this...wow...talk about blessings!

Becuase of this auction and because of a breakfast in the am, I was not able to do Cardio on Thursday. I was not too upset about missing a day, but it cannot be a habit obviously nor do I want it to be.

Friday was a great work out with Adam, we aren't doing the stairs this week...not even doing repeated sets....just going from one exercise to another and moving along at a pretty good clip.

I was getting excited about the weekend because I signed up for the Flotilla 5k at Wrightsville Beach.  I figured that I had to run anyway on Saturday, might as well do it for a good cause and have some fun too!



It felt good to be there. I have to say that the app in my ear really helps to keep the pace, but being in a crowd like this also helps a great deal too! In the first mile, the app as saying I was hitting 6.5 up to 7.0 miles an hour! It was incredible and I was staying with some pretty seasoned runners...but I have not trained for that level and that was not something I could sustain...so I got to a pace that I could handle and it was great! Yes, lots of folks passed me, but it did not matter..I was never dropping below 5.5  miles an hour, I was feeling the amazing chill while running into the sun...and it was awesome! Not to mention that this time I was running by myself..and it was me and the run...I was able to encourage myself! :) that was the best part! Getting across the finish line was great because I was happy for me! :) Does that make sense? It was a great feeling!




and after I left, I went to breakfast with Michael and spent the rest of the day doing things that were productive and had a great day! It was awesome!

Below is a great article that I found and I thought was pretty great..I am still working on the belly...but this was some good info!


Thanks be!


Susan B. Dopart, M.S., R.D.

Susan B. Dopart, M.S., R.D.

Posted: November 7, 2010 11:29 AM

Beer Gut? Spare Tire? How To Bust Your Belly Fat

We have a joking term for it -- "beer belly," but the reality is that the kind of fat that accumulates in and around the abdominal region is no laughing matter. In fact, it can have some serious health implications.
There are two types of fat contained within the body: visceral and subcutaneous. Subcutaneous fat is the padding beneath your skin and is not a health risk unless excessive. Think of it like the insulation in the walls of your home. Visceral fat is the one we call "belly fat." What makes visceral fat dangerous is the inflammatory hormones it secretes. Many people know belly fat is not attractive, but may not realize it is a metabolically active tissue with blood vessels running throughout that can be dangerous or even deadly.
Research Reveals The Dangers
A 1998 study published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism examined what happens when visceral and subcutaneous fat are observed in a Petri dish. The visceral fat released three times more toxic inflammatory chemicals than the subcutaneous fat.
Visceral fat is dangerous for a variety of reasons:

  • It has a direct route to the liver and can negatively increase liver function tests such as cholesterol.

  • It is linked with dumping inflammatory hormones into your body, which can affect your heart, kidney and brain.

  • It is associated with insulin resistance, which is an inability of your body to respond appropriately to your own insulin, which in turn increases fat storage and blood sugars.

  • It is connected with increased rates of cancer and cancer-like growths in the body.

Measure Up
Men with a waist circumference larger than 40 inches, or women with a 35-inch waist or greater, are at a high risk of disease due to increased visceral fat.
To measure your waist, place the tape measurement around the circumference of your waist at the point of your belly button. This measure is more important than the number on the scale: waist size is more important than weight.
It is important to remember visceral fat did not come on overnight, and will not come off easily. This type of fat is stubborn. Consistency with a healthy balanced diet and exercise program is required if you want to see permanent body and health changes.
Lifestyle Change Can Help You Bust Visceral Fat
1. Exercise just 30 minutes per day. "Moderate levels of cardio-respiratory fitness are associated with a 50 percent lower death rate, and this applies in both women and men," states Dr. Steven Blair, professor of Exercise Science at the University of South Carolina and former director of the Cooper Institute. Dr. Blair defines moderate intensity exercise as walking for 30 minutes on five or more days of the week. If there ever was a magic bullet to lowering fat in the body and increasing health, this is it.
2. Stick to a nutritious, anti-inflammatory diet. Consuming unprocessed food in its natural state such as local organic produce, nuts/seeds, lean protein such as grass fed meat, pasture raised poultry and eggs, wild fish, organic dairy, unprocessed grains such as buckwheat, wild or brown rice, quinoa; and healthy fats such as cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil.
3. Eat mindfully. Take 10 minutes out of your busy day to focus on your food and the enjoyment and nourishment it gives you. Eating mindfully helps with being in touch with the amount of food your body needs to match your metabolic rate, keeping your body fat normal.
It is possible to rebound from the belly bulge. By exercising, eating an anti-inflammatory diet and eating mindfully, you'll not only gain a trimmer waistline, but an overall healthier you!
Susan is the author of A Recipe for Life by the Doctor's Dietitian. For more information, visit susandopart.com

No comments: